Trans Art Is Curator (25-30hrs)
Chicago Therapy Collective
Mission: The Chicago Therapy Collective mobilizes to create safe, just, and inclusive Chicago neighborhoods for T/GNC individuals and communities.
Overview: We are in search of curators to showcase and integrate the artwork of Chicago-based T/GNC artists into cohesive themes over the course of a multi-month Trans Art Is exhibition. With each new exhibit, we welcome a new curator to breathe fresh perspective and life to the Trans Art Is exhibition. We strongly encourage people of color, T/GNC individuals, and people with disabilities to apply.
Description: For our next Trans Art Is exhibit, “Trans Art Is: Crossing Borders,” we are in search of a curator who possesses their own unique perspective on the theme “crossing borders,” who can powerfully articulate that perspective, and further develop and articulate that perspective in relation to the artwork selected for the exhibit. It is essential that our curator takes an intersectional approach to the production of language and key areas of focus that arise from the artwork within the exhibit.
Reports to Exhibit Production and PR Manager: Chris Walker
– Review and select submissions
– Liaison with artists
– Design exhibit display
– Install artwork
– Print and install all necessary labels
– Utilize volunteer support
– Write exhibit description for gallery wall, website, and promo materials based on artwork’s themes
— Drawing from artist statements and bios, as well as curators own written editorial on exhibit’s theme, post commentary and dialogue throughout the exhibit
– Prepare brief speech/comments for opening and closing events
Skills and qualifications
- Excellent written communication skills
- Highly organized, self-directed, and efficient
- General knowledge of visual composition and wall installation
- Nuanced and intersectional understanding of exhibit theme
- Availability for 25-30hrs of work over the course of 3-5 weeks
Pay: $500 stipend (approx 25-30hrs of work)
- Prompt: write a brief introduction to your dream “Trans Art Is: Crossing Borders” exhibit. What types of mediums, artists, and perspectives are represented? How do they connect? Why is this exhibit relevant?
- Send your prompt, resume, and cover letter to [email protected]