Website Chicago Women's Health Center
Chicago Women’s Health Center (CWHC) was established in 1975 as a feminist health collective. CWHC’s mission is to facilitate the empowerment of women, trans people, and young people by providing access to health care and health education in a respectful environment where people pay what they can afford. All services are provided on a sliding scale and regardless of a client’s ability to pay. CWHC values diversity, striving to represent the communities it serves and to be affirming of all identities and life experiences. CWHC’s modified collective structure means that every member has input into major policy decisions and shares responsibility for the work of the organization.
The Advanced Practice Nurse’s focus will be to provide supervision to a team of health educators as well as direct client care in basic gynecology and trans health services to clients. These services include sexual and reproductive health care, gender affirming hormone therapy, and alternative insemination all in collaboration with Counseling and Integrative Health Services. Practitioners will work with a team of health educators and volunteer physicians to provide care that is peer based, trauma informed, and utilizes harm reduction.
Staff will receive in depth training in gender affirming hormone therapy using an informed consent approach as well as trauma informed gynecology services through a reproductive justice lens. Services will be delivered in a way that allows for longer client visits, client participation, and education and preventative care for the clients. We believe this model results in improved client care as well as a more relaxed and satisfying work environment for providers.
This position is one of two part-time Advanced Practice Nurses, who will work closely to fulfill the job functions and provide leadership to support our gynecological, alternative insemination and gender-affirming services. This position may require being accessible by phone after business hours on a limited basis. As a part of the leadership team in a modified collective setting, the Advanced Practice Nurse will promote collaborative work processes, open communication, and self-responsibility. The Advanced Practice Nurse will oversee the logistical components of the Nurse Practitioner team, coordinate scheduling, process time-off requests, facilitate weekly primary care meetings, and assume leadership responsibility for the development of Nurse Practitioner protocols and policies.
Provide direct client care following CWHC’s model of care 70%
● Utilize a collaborative approach to supervising the clinical team and delegation.
● Assist in appointment troubleshooting and provide guidance for case nuances.
● Participate in chart review and ongoing mutual feedback with clinical team.
● Create a safe, comfortable and non-judgmental environment for clients of all genders and identities.
● Provide culturally responsive care with an emphasis on client education.
● Perform comprehensive or focused health history, physical exam, diagnosis, and treatment.
● Display confidence in meeting clients’ needs through in-person or telemedicine visits.
● Demonstrate effective documentation in paper charting and Athena EHR.
● Complete documentation and record keeping required for insurance billing systems.
● Oversee client follow-up for abnormal results.
● Consult with Medical Director on client care as defined per collaborative agreement.
● Act as resource to clinic staff.
In collaboration with provider team, develop and enhance clinical services and systems 15%
● Assist with developing scope and protocols for clinical services.
● Participate in client case review and other professional development activities to ensure quality care.
● Participate in developing and implementing quality improvement plans.
● Attend monthly program committee meetings and staff meetings.
Participate in collaborative leadership approach to program and organizational management 5%
● Contribute to planning and implementation of organizational policies and practices.
● Contribute to the development and implementation of committee goals and objectives, evaluation and budgets.
Coordinate clinical practice 5%
● Facilitate hand off of client care to collaborating nurse practitioner.
● Coordinate schedule-making and time-off requests for nurse practitioners.
● Bottom-line protocol and policy development for the nurse practitioner team.
● Manage other logistical components specific to Nurse Practitioners and client care as needed.
Collective Involvement 5%
● Join ad-hoc committees as needed (based on interest and/or specific skill set or position).
● Review meeting minutes from all programs to stay informed about health center activities.
● Participate in annual budget assessment process.
● Support CWHC through events attendance and community networking.
● Attend, actively participate, and vote in Collective Meetings (4 meetings per year).
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Completion of advanced practice nursing program and board certification through ANCC, AANP,ACNM, or WHNP. Examples: Certified Nurse Midwife, Adult Nurse Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner, or Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
● Registered Professional Nurse licensure and Advanced Practice Nurse licensure by the State of Illinois or the ability to obtain Illinois licenses by the start date.
● Current or eligible for DEA license.
● Preferred experience providing care to clients of all gender identities.
● Willingness to enter into collaborative agreement with CWHC physician.
● Certification in Basic Life Support CPR.
● Demonstrate clinical competency in relevant areas.
● Experience providing care to trans-identified clients preferred.
● English/Spanish bilingual strongly preferred.
● Experience in routine gynecology and low intervention fertility practices for people without access to sperm preferred.
● Understanding and interest in participating as a leader in a modified collective structure.
● Must be comfortable with abortion care and options counseling
● Phlebotomy skills desired
This is a 32 hour per week position with the option to increase hours and benefits as training continues. The salary is commensurate with experience, in range that is equivalent to an hourly rate of $43-45. The person in this position will be considered a collective member of CWHC and is eligible for benefits including generous paid time off, comp time, continuing education credit, and 403B retirement plan.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with priority review for earlier applications.
CWHC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a workplace free from discrimination. No one will be denied opportunities or benefits based on age, color, race, sex, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political belief, or disability, either visible or invisible. People of all backgrounds, particularly people of color and trans/gender expansive individuals, are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com